We are currently searching for suitable premises in the city to locate a Food Hub. This facility would ideally be used as a shared space for foodbanks and other affordable food projects to store food donations and/or use as a food processing space. This is something that is needed across the Emergency Food Network to help with the numbers of people who are struggling financially this winter.
We have previously used Hove Park School, the Brighton Centre and then Moulsecoomb Hall for a central processing hub for emergency food. We are really struggling to find suitable space as community buildings are back in action, now that lockdown has finished. Could you help? Do you know of a nearby building which is vacant or soon will be?
What we need
The specifications we are looking for include:
· A minimum floor space of 60m sq. (ideally split over 2 rooms, or which can be achieved by partitions in one e.g. large sports halls (basketball court size) have worked well previously)
· Flat entrance with goods access for large delivery vehicles and space for volunteer drivers to park outside (preferably with no parking restrictions)
· Situated on ground floor level or with large lifts to enable access to other floors
· Electricity & heating
· Toilets & hand washing facilities
· Rodent proof (building in good overall condition/state of repair)
· Access is required Monday to Friday daytimes, occasional weekends and late nights
· Good security
· In or easy transport links to Brighton & Hove
· Doorways that are at least 70cm wide and not tight turns (food delivery cages need to be moved around)
· Kitchen, refrigeration or freezer space
· Space to install a walk-in fridge
· Permission to store fresh fruit & vegetables
· Wifi facilities
How you can help?
If you have a facility that meets these criteria, or know of something which might have potential, please contact email@example.com or 07522 116942 with more details.