Working with the Landworkers’ Alliance, a coalition of groups are coordinating a Farming, Food & Climate Justice March on Saturday 5 October 2019, working to transform our food and farming systems so that everyone has access to healthy and affordable food produced in ways that reverse the environmental crisis that we face. This political demonstration will make the point that the crises on our farms and with our climate are linked and require joined-up solutions.
The march will be preceded by a day of movement building workshops on Friday 4 October 2019 at the Bargehouse on Southbank. These workshops are a space where people can come together and develop the narratives and ideas that underpin the movement. There will be lots of interesting debate; around deforestation, fair trade, veganism, livestock farming, genetically modified crops and much more.
Find out more about the Good Food March.
Why are we marching?
The current systems are not working for people or the planet. We need to ensure farmers are able to produce nutritious, ecological, healthy food and everybody has guaranteed access to it, without degrading our soils, polluting our rivers, poisoning wildlife, wasting food or causing unnecessary carbon emissions.
The March is for anyone who grows, distributes, prepares or eats food – together all of us have a stake in this important debate. Whether you are a worker in the food system, parents wanting affordable, nutritious food for your children, worried about climate change or you want to support farming that produces good food working in harmony with the earth, this is a critical time for us all to come together. It is time we made our collective voices heard.
What do we need?
We need people just to turn up on the day and encourage friends to do the same. We need to make some noise! Please bring pots, pans (or your own samba band) and don’t forget the vegetable costumes.
However if you would like to get further involved:
- Could you be a steward or volunteer on the day? Duties would be things like showing people where to go, serving on the bar, helping dish out food, being able to turn up at 11am for a briefing.
- Can you make some great eye-catching artwork? Banners, costumes, puppets etc or coordinate some performance art?
We need people to help us promote the event to friends, family & co-workers. Could you:
- Share the Facebook page and directly invite friends to the workshops & march?
- Download the poster, print it and put it in your local shops & community centres? Farming Food & Climate Justice March poster.
- Share the message on social media? Using the hashtags #goodfoodgoodfarming & #foodclimatemarch
If you have any questions or would like to get further involved please contact Humphrey on email@example.com or ring 07702 810555.