Wednesday 8 Dec 2021 - Thursday 16 Dec 2021
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Find your feet in the food industry with this exciting new course.
Interested in exploring a future in the food industry? This exciting, new course offers you the opportunity to gain practical catering and hospitality skills, learning from experienced chefs and industry leaders, visiting workplaces, and gaining insider knowhow.
You will also receive individual follow-up support to help you find your place in this exciting and expanding sector, which offers a wider range of roles than many first realise – from cooking in restaurants, bakeries, schools and industrial food production to front-of-house, marketing and management jobs.
The first, skills-based phase of the course will take place on five mornings over a week. It will include:
- An introduction to the terminology, tasks and techniques needed for success in the food industry.
- Masterclasses in essential chef skills and patisserie skills.
- A focus on front-of-house skills such as body language and presentation.
- You will also have the opportunity to attend a day’s training to achieve your food hygiene certification.
The second phase includes a chosen industry site visit so you get a feel for life in a restaurant, bakery, factory, school or hotel.
The third phase offers one-to-one support and mentoring as you seek career openings, including introductions to key local employers.
Dates: (you must be able to attend all five practical sessions)
- Wednesday 8th December, 2pm-4pm
- Thursday 9th December, 2pm-4pm
- Friday 10th December, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 13th December, 10am-12pm
- Thursday 16th October, 9am-4pm (Food Hygiene training)
Industry visits will take place after this initial week
Mentoring support meetings will be arranged individually
This course will run two more times this year, further details will be announced on our website and in our email newsletters.
This programme is funded by the European Social Fund via the London Learning Consortium.
Who can attend?
- People who are unemployed/ not currently working (including those returning after sick leave/ caring responsibilities etc)
- Those aged 16+
- Those who have not been a full-time student for the last six months.
Our funder has some further eligibility criteria which we can assess from the brief form below. For those who are eligible, we will arrange a time to meet and go through a few additional questions before booking your space on the course.
Please be sure to check your spam folder when looking out for a reply from us about your application.
Covid-19 safety measures
This class takes place after 19th July when social distancing rules and other covid-related regulations are removed. If new restrictions are announced, we will adapt our procedures according to the latest government guidelines and any updates will be sent by email and listed on our website. Our Kitchen space continues to be kept to a very high standard of cleaning and hygiene regardless.
Note: If you are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, current government advice recommends avoiding contact with unvaccinated people. Please note small venues cannot request or guarantee the vaccination status of everyone attending events, so please take this into consideration.
For any questions contact:
Tash Adu, Project Support (Community Kitchen & Marketing)
email@example.com / 01273 234810
The Community KitchenQueens RoadBrightonUK
Jumpstart Catering: Pathways into the Food Industry course
The Community Kitchen, Queens Road, Brighton, UK