Monday 28 Jun 2021 - Friday 2 Jul 2021
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Find your feet in the food industry with this exciting new course.
Interested in exploring a future in the food industry? This exciting, new course offers you the opportunity to gain practical catering and hospitality skills, learning from experienced chefs and industry leaders, visiting workplaces, and gaining insider knowhow.
You will also receive individual follow-up support to help you find your place in this exciting and expanding sector, which offers a wider range of roles than many first realise – from cooking in restaurants, bakeries, schools and industrial food production to front-of-house, marketing and management jobs.
The first, skills-based phase of the course will take place on five mornings over a week. It will include:
- An introduction to the terminology, tasks and techniques needed for success in the food industry.
- Masterclasses in essential chef skills and patisserie skills.
- A focus on front-of-house skills such as body language and presentation.
- You will also have the opportunity to attend a day’s training to achieve your food hygiene certification.
The second phase includes a chosen industry site visit so you get a feel for life in a restaurant, bakery, factory, school or hotel.
The third phase offers one-to-one support and mentoring as you seek career openings, including introductions to key local employers.
Dates: (you must be able to attend all five practical sessions)
- Monday 28th June, 11am-1pm
- Tuesday 29th June, 9am-4pm (food hygiene training)
- Wednesday 30th June, 11am-1pm
- Thursday 1st July, 11am-1pm
- Friday 2nd July, 11am-1pm
- Industry visits will take place during July/ August
- Mentoring support meetings will be arranged individually
This course will run two more times this year, further details will be announced on our website and in our email newsletters.
This programme is funded by the European Social Fund via the London Learning Consortium.
Who can attend?
- People who are unemployed/ not currently working (including those returning after sick leave/ caring responsibilities etc)
- Those aged 16+
- Those who have not been a full-time student for the last six months.
Our funder has some further eligibility criteria which we can assess from the brief form below. For those who are eligible, we will arrange a time to meet and go through a few additional questions before booking your space on the course.
Please be sure to check your spam folder when looking out for a reply from us about your application.
For any questions contact:
Charlotte Fuller, Cookery Worker
email@example.com / 01273 234810
113 Queens RdBrighton BN1 3XGUK
Jumpstart Catering: Pathways into the Food Industry course
113 Queens Rd, Brighton BN1 3XG, UK