Wednesday 17 Mar 2021
5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
In this evidence-based cook-a-long webinar, registered nutritionist Fran will lead you through this developing and exciting topic.
Staying healthy and eating well to help us feel good is important for many of us right now. When it comes to health our gut is key.
In this interactive nutrition and cooking webinar discover how a healthier digestive system means a healthier you! Gut health is a hot topic; more and more research is linking gut health to disease and wellbeing – from digestive health and metabolism to immunity and even mood.
You’ll come away with a better understanding of what gut health is, including:
- The key things you need to know about beneficial bacteria and how to look after your own.
- The link between the gut and the brain including the latest ground breaking studies
- The impact of stress on the gut
- The difference between probiotics and prebiotics and how to include more of both in your diet.
- How to use fermented food in your diet and why you should
- The role of fibre in gut health and how to get more into your diet.
You’ll make a delicious gut-loving coleslaw and some overnight fermented oats using a fermented milk kefir (or yoghurt). You will also have the opportunities to have your own your digestive dilemmas answered. After the lesson, you will receive a range of gut friendly fermented recipes plus a handout covering everything in the webinar.
What previous participants on Fran’s classes said: “”Brilliant teacher and course… Found it really useful to ask questions.” “Leader was very knowledgeable and provided a wealth of information.” “Liked the balance between discussion and cookery.”
Dietary requirements: The menu for this class is gluten-free and vegetarian, and adaptable for vegan diets, for any other dietary requirements or allergies, please contact us to discuss before booking.
Find out more about Fran and the other cooks who work with the Community Kitchen.
Tickets for this event include:
- professional cookery & nutrition tuition
- link to the webinar on Zoom (we will send further details in your confirmation email if you have not used Zoom before)
- lists of ingredients and equipment to assemble before the lesson (optional)
- all recipes and a handout from the class emailed afterwards
Any profits raised from cookery webinars support our community activities – ensuring everyone in Brighton & Hove can access and enjoy tasty, healthy food. Your ticket for this class could help us offer a food parcel for a family in need or a cookery lesson for someone living on a low income. Find out more about our work.
PLEASE NOTE: The Zoom webinar link, and the lists of ingredients and equipment are available on the ‘ONLINE EVENT PAGE’ – you will receive a link to this in your confirmation email.
The only slightly unusual ingredients (other than fruit & veg, nuts, seeds etc) are listed below and should be readily available at your local supermarket, whole food grocer or online. Many ingredients are optional and if you have any trouble sourcing ingredients, Fran will discuss substitutions and tweaks to the recipes during the session.
- Plain kefir (100ml) – Yeo Valley and Biotiful are popular brands. If you can’t get any then Greek yogurt is fine.
The webinar is designed for participants to cook-a-long with Fran at a few points during the session, but if you prefer you can simply watch and listen.
Tickets for this online event are offered on a ‘pay by donation’ basis. We suggest a donation of £20 per session, or £10 if unwaged, and £30 if you are able to ‘pay it forward’ to help us keep these classes accessible to all. Please note we do not typically offer refunds on online events.Book your place